Wanna impress the husband, the children, the in-laws, the whoevs? Make this frittata for breakfast. It’s so easy because there are only a few rules to follow, and the rest is up to you. You basically use whatever leftover veg you have in your fridge that you’ve forgotten about, any random leftover sausage, grilled chicken from the night before, or no meat if you swing that way. Then find a sliver of cheese in your deli drawer. Have some fresh herbs floating about? Great, throw that in too! Pour some eggs over it, throw it under the broiler, and voila, a beautiful breakfast. Now, use this as a form of bribery to get a loved one to finally clean out the gutters.
My recipe will be what I created this one particular morning. However, I’ve never made the same combination more than once. And that’s the beauty of it- something new every time! Also, this is the perfect quick lunch or dinner too, accompanied with a simple green salad.
If you are feeding a large group, just add more filling and eggs. A general rule would be 2 eggs for each person.
Anytime, Anything You Want Frittata
Feeds 2 greedy individuals
Special equipment: A oven-safe frying pan
Ingredients: (Remember, this is more of a guideline than a recipe)
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 spicy andouille sausages, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- cheese, shredded
- cilantro, chopped
- Preheat your broiler to low.
- Melt the butter in your pan over medium heat.
- Saute your onion, pepper, and jalapeno until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the sliced sausage, and cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Season your eggs with some salt, and pour evenly over the veg and meat.
- Sprinkle the cheese over, and let cook on the stove for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer that thang under the broiler and let it cook until the eggs are set and the top is golden, maybe 4-5 minutes. Keep a close eye on your frittata while it’s cooking!
- Remove from oven, and top with cilantro. Serve with some hot sauce and maybe some sour cream.
- Also, please please make sure you keep your oven mitt on the pan handle so you remember the handle is blasted HOT! I learned my lesson the hard way, and I shouted lots of bad words.
This is as much excitement you’ll get out of me in the morning.